Thursday 4 June 2015

Jürgen Klopp to take break after ‘seven emotional years’ at Borussia Dortmund

Jürgen KloppJürgen Klopp has announced that he will take a break from management for “the time being”. The 47-year-old, who has been in charge of Borussia Dortmund for the past seven years, has been linked with several clubs, including Liverpool, Real Madrid and Fenerbahce, but has decided to take some time off to recharge his batteries.
“After seven intensive and emotional years of ‘true love’ I think it makes sense to take time to take stock of the countless memories before me and my fellow coaching team embrace a new challenge, fresh and highly motivated,” Klopp said.

The German made the decision after talks with his adviser, Marc Kosicke, and his family despite having denied that he was planning a sabbatical when he announced his departure in April. On Saturday, he took charge of Dortmund for the last time as they lost the German Cup final 3-1 to Wolfsburg.
“I feel below average,” he said after the match in Berlin. “I am having to work very hard to keep my emotions in check. Each time I hug a player, the tears are likely to come because I know this is the last time I will hug that person.
“I am very grateful for the seven years I’ve had here. I have to deal with it one step at a time and I will do that even more when the cameras are not on me all the time.”
Dortmund won the league and the German Cup twice and reached the Champions League final in 2013 under Klopp’s stewardship. They struggled in the league this year, and were at one point in the relegation zone, before finishing seventh.
Thomas Tuchel will take over as the new Dortmund manager.