Wednesday 6 May 2015

José Mourinho: impossible to match Sir Alex Ferguson’s 13 Premier League titles

Chelsea's manager José Mourinho
José Mourinho has dismissed the prospect of matching Sir Alex Ferguson’s haul of 13 Premier League titles as impossible.
The self-proclaimed Special One led Chelsea to his third Premier League title with Sunday’s 1-0 defeat of Crystal Palace.
Ferguson was 51 when he steered Manchester United to the inaugural Premier League title in 1992-93. Mourinho is 52 and has this season’s trophy to go along with the 2004-05 and 2005-06 wins from his first spell.
“I have a long way to go, but Sir Alex left the bar in an impossible position for anyone. I cannot win 13 Premier Leagues,” Mourinho told BT Sport, in an interview to be shown on Monday evening.
“I can win 13 championships. I can. I have eight, I think I can go to 13. But 13 Premier Leagues, no, no chance.”
Mourinho needs five more championships to reach 13, after two wins with Porto in Portugal, two with Internazionale in Italy and one with Real Madrid in Spain, plus his three with Chelsea.
Meanwhile the midfielder Ramires has taken to Instagram to reassure supporters after missing Chelsea’s title-clinching victory on Sunday through illness. The Brazilian was named in the starting lineup but withdrew late before kick-off and departed for hospital with a kidney problem.
Ramires wrote on Instagram on Monday: “I was very sick yesterday minutes before the match because of a renal complication, but I’m well and home with my family. Thank God it was nothing serious and I will be fully recovered in a few weeks.”